26 July 2010

What I Do: Technology I use

I was interested to see what technology other people use. Here is my list (yes, I know I am behind the times!)

* Hardware: desktop PC + notebook PC (Windows XP).
* External storage: CDs + a few 2GB/4GB USB flashdrives.
* Online storage: AOL email account; Blogger; Rootsweb Freepages/WorldConnect. I may try Mozy.
* Backup: CD/flashdrive/paper *in another town* in case of a local disaster.
* Virus protection: AVG free recommended by computer repairman.
* Printer: Brother HL2040 laser (b/w) + HP Deskjet (colour).
* Phone: landline + Nokia mobile without a camera.
* Browser: Firefox + Internet Explorer 7.
* Blog: Blogger.
* RSS: Mozilla Thunderbird + Google Reader in IE7.
* FTP: WS_FTP + sometimes FileZilla.
* Text editor: Windows Wordpad.
* Screen capture: PrintKey.
* Social media: Facebook.
* Social bookmarking: None yet.
* Social profile: Blogger.
* URL shortener: TinyUrl.
* Office suite: Microsoft Office 2007 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
* E-mail: Eudora.
* Calendar: Lotus Organiser (came with computer) + mobile phone.
* Accounting: QuickBooks.
* PDF generator: PDF995 (free; works nicely with Word).
* Genealogy database: TMG (The Master Genealogist) v.7 Gold edition. With this I use SecondSite2 (creates Web pages from TMG data) and TMG Utility. Before TMG I used Relatively Yours.
* Genealogy tools: ParLoc2 (parish locator).
* Other tech stuff:
- My scanner died so I use a digital camera (Canon Powershot A100).
- Treepad (great little programme to file bits and pieces).
- PowerDesk (file manager for Windows).
- Diskeeper Lite (free defragmenter).
-Webpage generator = me! Apart from blogs and family tree pages from TMG, I create my Web site by writing the HTML in Wordpad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To see my reply to your comment, tick 'Notify Me'. If you think we are related, or if you want to comment but cannot do so because of restrictions designed to block spam, please email me at the address shown in the sidebar here (or an alternative address shown on www.judywebster.com.au).