02 July 2010

Google Books (52 Weeks to Better Genealogy. No.26)

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy is a series of tasks devised by Amy Coffin. Challenge no.26 was 'Take a stroll through Google Books. Most of us have probably used Google Books in our genealogy research, but have you really taken the time to explore what's there?'

I had used Google Books before, but I had never looked at their section for Magazines, so I started by searching there for ancestry OR genealogy. 'Ancestry Magazine' dominated the search results. To make it easier to find more obscure titles, I changed my search terms to ancestry OR genealogy -"ancestry magazine".

My most interesting find was an article in 'Life' Magazine, 3 Apr 1950, p.89. It is about 81-year-old Gertrude HANSON (in the USA), who combined her hobbies (genealogy and hooking rugs) to produce a beautiful carpet for her stairs. It depicts family houses (with dates) and churches associated with the family. There is a photograph of Mrs. HANSON and the carpet.

I also found references to 'The Rotarian' (official magazine of Rotary International). The August 1980 edition says that the newsletter 'Rota-Gene' provided up-to-date information on genealogical resources and a query section in which members could exchange information.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you found the week's challenge useful. You've reminded me that I need to check out the Life Magazine collection there. I've been meaning to do it but keep forgetting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Google Book searches also... haven't found a great description of a relatives home yet BUT I found some interesting information using Google Books - discovered my g uncle was a suspected spy during WW2 in the 'Guy Lidell Diaries' and that he was involved in gun running to Hyderabad in the diary of general Peter El Edroos. GETTING hold of there books was the difficult part. I HAVEN'T checked the magazine section but am going to do it RIGHT NOW! Thanks, Sharn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exciting family you have! As for locating books... here is an example of how I found an out-of-print book about my family:

    In Trove I searched 'Books, journals, magazines, articles' for title:(hahn) creator:(zischke). In the result, below the details of the book, it said 'At 5 libraries'. Clicking on that text brought up a list of libraries and the relevant call numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How neat! I didn't know you could search for magazines separately. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for commenting on my "Google Books" post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too Dana. Your blog reminded me that although I'd written this post years ago, I really should use Google Books more often.

      Delete